Stamullen Parish is steeped in history dating to pre-Christian times. Several passage tombs are located within the parish; not least the perfect example to be found at Fourknocks. Colm Clarkin gives us a quick tour of the history…
A Brief History
Stamullen Parish, Meath lies in the east of the Meath Diocese, and shares boundaries with Drogheda, Laytown/Mornington, Duleek , Ardcath and Balbriggan.
The population of the parish today is around 5,500 people.
There are two parish churches in Stamullen; St. Patrick’s Church in Stamullen village and St. Mary’s Church in Julianstown.
St. Mary’s Church, Julianstown
St. Patrick’s Church, Stamullen
St. Patrick’s Church was built in 1831, altered in 1961, had a major roof repair in 1992 and underwent a considerable renovation in 2010.
St. Mary’s Church was built in 1982 replacing an earlier church in the townland of Demanistown, Julianstown which was built between 1835 an 1837.
The parish is home to the Mosney Accommodation Centre and a church also dedicated to St. Patrick is to be found there – erected by Sir William Butlin in 1949.
Rev. Declan Kelly is the parish priest. The Franciscan community from Gormanston College also assist in the parish regularly.
The Parochial House is Preston Hill, Stamullen. The Parish Priest appears as the tenant of this house in the Tithe Applotment Book of Stamullen in 1834, and the Parish Priests of Stamullen have lived in this house since at least that year. The house also underwent a considerable renovation in 2010, under the direction of the present Parish Priest.
Stamullen Parish is steeped in history dating to pre-Christian times. Several passage tombs are located within the parish; not least the perfect example to be found at Fourknocks. However, a modern history of the parish really dates to the immediate pre-famine years – the 1830’s which saw the erection of the parish churches, and probably the Parochial House also.
Births, Deaths & Marriages…
A National School was established at Stamullen, beside the Church in October 1841 and at Whitecross, Julianstown in 1842.
The Primate of All Ireland, Dr. Patrick Curtis, was born in Stamullen in 1746 and his obituary from 1832 stated that “he derived his classical education at a school in the village of Stamullen”.
There are three cemeteries of historical significance still in use in the parish: Stamullen, Moorechurch and Kilsharvan. Burials still take place in all three.
Of considerable note in St. Patrick’s Cemetery, Stamullen is the Cadaver Stone, dating from The Black Death period, the fourteenth century. There are only nine such stones in Ireland.
Being steeped in history and the traditions of the past, Stamullen is a vibrant, multi-cultural community which welcomes all, embraces change, and looks forward to the future.